Thursday, April 21, 2011

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed

At 1:30 am when everything went dead still I should have known it was the start of a challenging day.  The power kicked back on eventually but not before it grew stale and dead in the house. I've been getting up to mid 70's weather so the a/c running all night is not a luxury but pretty much necessity since it's still in high 80's at 9 pm.  I knew that all the clocks were wrong but I rarely use them other than passing glances.  Not needed to set an alarm I didn't get up and reconfigure the clock but eventually fell back to a fitful sleep.

Living on a barrier island has it's down sides.  One is that in order to get there you need to cross one of the three drawbridges or swim in from the Atlantic Ocean or the Intracoastal waterways (both of which have sharks and stupid boat folks).  The main drawbridge is a block from my place and is supposed to go up on the half hour and hour...ONLY.  This morning's brain trust in charge of the bridge hits the lights just as I am ready to go across so I stopped steaming at 6:51 am....and there I was stuck for five more minutes while the rich dude with the too tall boat puttered through.  Naturally I snapped picture of the clock on my dash and the bridge up (to be posted later) just cause I was fuming.  See that sets my time back and makes me ripe to get caught by not one but two trains. 

I show up to work.  Clock in and then walk down the stairs to get ice for my breakfast diet dr. pepper (not coffee too warm).  Then wanting to dodge the talkative security guard in the lobby I go the the staircase near the cafeteria.  I badge in the door and am halfway up one flight when I see the door didn't close all the way.  Sighing I tromp back down and pull door shut.  There's still an alarm blaring.  I quicken my pace and prompty trip UP the stairs (takes a certain grace and lack of talent).  My left thigh meets one concrete step and left shin another while I figure I am about to take out my face so I lunge a bit off center and twist my left shoulder and wrist.

Grace and elegance all before 8:15 am.  Can't wait for the rest of this day.  Sigh.

2 comments: