Thursday, April 7, 2011

Downside of Paradise

I am doing April Fools Novel this year.  It's an offshoot of NaNoWriMo.  The rules are far more lax and it's an honor system challenge.  You choose your own goal and post it.  That's the only requirement.  From there you can use WIP and other projects you just need a push to work on and gain some encouragement from the various folks.  You can count poems and short stories but not blogs or homework (yeah, quite a few younger folks in the group).  Still it's good if you are doing National Poetry Month or Script Frenzy. 

Sadly this year I am lagging totally (said with my Cali voice).  I have a group of friends who like to hang out by the pool in the common area of my place and talk.  I call them my Lost Boys.  They all have hardship stories and have had interesting lives.  I hear stories of past glories and silly things they have done.  One of the 'boys' is from Canada and was a hockey player.  His life led him down to Florida where he ran a successful beach business and restaurant until his mother fell ill and he went to take care of her as she died from a bad blood transfusion done in Canada.  Since then he's been in a legal quagmire of paperwork and promises and currently works for a moving company.  He comes over to use my barbeque and makes delish meals that he buys the food for and he even does the dishes afterwards! 

Maybe it'll rain this weekend and I can catch up on my writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment