Monday, April 18, 2011

20% chance of being wrong?

So I want to be a weather forecaster.  Anyone who's read more than a bit of my writing knows I tend to find a paragraph or three to mock newscasters and at times weather forecasters.  What other job could you have where you are wrong 80% of the time and you still get paid? 

It was supposed to be hot all weekend.  They got that right.  With possibly a 20% chance of scattered showers.  Well that 20% poured enough rain into the pool that I didn't have to add water (like an inch!).  It rained a good two or three hours without stop.  Scattered showers later in evening.  That was Saturday.  Sunday was summer hot and humid (August type weather) with rolling thunderclouds and booms and some rain (not as steady).  Don't get me wrong we really need rain here but I like it to rain at night and during work week when I am not outside (silly me).

I got some writing done but ended up with backyard full of the Lost Boys again.  Most of them don't have girlfriends and tell tall tales while trying to one-up each other.  Wealth of writing material free of charge.  And since they don't get online I don't have to worry about them reading about themselves in my tales *wicked grin* 

One of the guys who comes up for the weekend to give his girlfriend and her mother some time together got two back to back slam texts yesterday afternoon.  First, "Why don't you stay up there overnight?" Okay, not so bad cause she had her girlfriends in town and was having fun.  Second was the killer, "I need my space."  Given he lives with her that sort of screwed his mind up.  I let him crash on the couch and hope he doesn't get the next predictable messages, "It's not you - it's me" followed by "Your crap is on the curb".  He was devastated as they've been together for five years.  He lost his job five months ago and since then his world has been ever narrowing and crashing.  It's a tough economy.  It's tougher once you clear 50 and are looking for a job. 

Sand, didn't get the flickr updated but "Good Morning" is shaping into a fun bit of well fun.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I could handle being a weather caster, too. I went outside the other day, looked at the sky, and said, "Dang, that looks like a rainstorm headed this way." (Weather.com said partly cloudy and warm.) Howabout a torrential downpour?

    Afterwards I wondered why I had believed the weather station more than my own eyes ...

    ReplyDelete