Thursday, May 26, 2011

Summer winding up for a major run

I have yet to see a baseball game here.  Which is probably because Miami isn't exactly the fun in the sun you see on 'Burn Notice' and 'The Glades'.  There are neighborhoods that are in transitional stages - larceny to murder from the reports.  Not to say I didn't go to games in Detroit.  I just went with my 'posse' of ten to fifteen fellow bookstore workers.  Yeah, geeks liking sports.  In San Diego I went to tons of games.  Started when I was a little kid because my aunt worked for the Padres and got us tickets to all the games we wanted.  Also got to see the concerts they held with the fireworks shows to back the music.  In Detroit I watched games played in the old Tiger Stadium and then when it moved to the downtown 'revitilized' area (translation they bulldozed historic old Detroit to make room for the new and improved stadium).  In San Diego I went with my dad to watch the last game played at Jack Murphy Stadium and then later one of the first games at the new 'Petco Park'.  Complete with dogs - I mean players.  There's something that spells summer to me sitting in a stadium getting pounded by the sun while screaming along with the sucky plays.  Both major league teams tanked right after they got their new stadiums.  I think the club ran out of money or the team ran out of energy from all the back door deals they had to broker to make the new stadiums rock.

As I was watching the sun peak over the clouds today on my drive into work I found it funny to think I'd yet to go to a Marlins game.  Maybe next year.  I'm just not motivated to run down and see if I can get carjacked on a sunny afternoon. 

1 comment:

  1. Really? A baseball fan? Well, I don't really follow the game except for an occasional nostalgic peek at the Pirates. But there has been nothing to peek at there for years.

    ReplyDelete