Monday, May 23, 2011

Sadness

I just found out a friend of mine died.  He was diagnosed with male breast cancer about six months ago.  I last saw him around two months ago then he just up and left.  I called and left him a message.  He called and left me a message.  No more messages. 

David wasn't a typical guy.  He was rough around the edges, had done his share of bad boy things, he fathered a child, buried his twin brother.  His 'jobs' varied.  But mostly he did household painting, sailed his boat and treated his friends well.  I was one of the first people he told he had something wrong.  He told me he had a lump that appeared suddenly on his chest.  I nagged him to get to a damn doctor.  He actually did.  They cut out his lump, biopsied the mess and told him the worse.  He did a few months of chemo after fighting with everyone who cared.  He left his girlfriend of four years, pushed away all his close friends and tried to keep it together.  We mended fences around New Years.  His was the first New Years Eve party I went to a few years back when I got here.  He came over swam in the pool, flirted outrageously with all the gals that come over during the weekend and sun like lovely lizards by my pool. 

David won't be buried here.  He'll be up in Rhode Island with his family.  I don't think I'll go to the funeral but he will be mourned. 

2 comments:

  1. Sympathy for your heartache, my friend. May his kindness to you be remembered...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of no better words to share than those of the Church:

    Eternal rest, grant unto him, O Lord,
    and let perpetual light shine upon him.
    May he rest in peace.
    Amen.

    Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete