Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Burning down the Everglades

Past two mornings have been tough.  There have been fires to the West that are now being blown towards the coast causing the air to grow heavy with smoke and assorted bits of nature.  I am coughing out my lungs before I get to work even with my a/c on recirculate.  This morning I woke at 4 am because inside the house there was the scent of smoke.  Having been evacuated once for such things I know how fast it happens.  The fire is miles away and there's no discussion of it even drifting this way but growing up in Southern California with their epic fires my flee factor is hardwired.  So I drove in to work exhausted. 

Upside it's supposed to rain in next few days and they hope that'll put out the flames.  And I snapped a few pictures of sunrise this morning with the smoke making the colors vivid.  Should have those up tomorrow I hope.  Here's the back yard and wishing for more of the same.


From the local newspaper:
A lightning strike set off the fire causing the troubling air conditions on April 27 inside of Big Cypress National Preserve. It has consumed more than 35,000 acres, said Mike Johnson, National Parks Service spokesman.

1 comment:

  1. Keep the buckets filled and at the ready!

    And pray for rain.

    ReplyDelete