Friday, June 24, 2011

Sushi Rock

As some of you may know I am a fan of sushi.  I wrote about it for Piker Press in detail a few years back and even had pictures of the sushi my sister and I made.  Lately co-workers and I have been celebrating our birthdays by going to Bluefin Thai/Sushi place.  For some reason here sushi is served with Thai food.  I never quite get the combo but maybe that's how they deal with the day old fish "Pad Thai special!!" *shrugs*  Today my co-worker and I went to one of her favorite places. 

The lunch specials range from $10-15 a special which isn't bad considering all you get.  We both started with the salad and ginger dressing. I went with the tempura combo since I am not a fan of octopus on my tongue.  The 'bento box' comes beautifully arranged with flourishes most lunch places don't do.  Six pieces of sashimi.  I don't like salmon so I asked for no salmon.  To me salmon should be poached or bbq'd on a cedar plank.  Or lox...hmmmmm....bagels and cream cheese.  Not propped up by seaweed.  I had yellowtail and tuna sashimi, three pieces of sushi - two tuna and one shrimp, 4 slices of California roll and the tempura.  I wasn't overly crazy about their tempura since they didn't seem to cook it properly.  Too greasy so that was left on the plate.  I gobbled up the two slices of pineapple that were so sweet they tasted nearly like mango.

It was delicious and satisfied my hunger for all things raw.  We had a great conversation some work some not.  All in all a nice way to spend a Friday lunch.

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those bigoted Westerns who believes that fish should always be cooked, preferably fried and with lots of tartar sauce. I try to be more cosmopolitan in other ways (i.e. scrapple), but I draw the line at fish.

    ReplyDelete