Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Learning to let things go

I think as I get older I come to grips with that more and more.  Death was something that shadowed me from a very early age.  I knew I'd get to see my cousins and aunts and uncles while hearing stories.  I loved the stories.  I would sit in the corner of a couch and just absorb the nuances and the weaving of words in the softening night as the family would sit around and talk about the dead.  Soon the storytellers were dead and the cousins and remaining aunts and uncles would talk about the tale spinner.  So death doesn't haunt me as I get older. 

But learning to keep calm when stuff goes butter side down is not so easy for me.  This past few years has been learning to adjust to the constantly changing road my life has taken.  Fleeing from SoCal was a necessary choice.  I had to leave a good job, a wonderful group of friends, a ton of my stuff and my family.  This past weekend that came crashing in with thankfully not a death.  After 11pm on Friday night for some reason I woke from a sound sleep and checked my cell phone.  I had 3 missed calls from Tracy, my parents next door neighbor, and 3 voice mails.  Heart in my throat I listened to the messages fearing the worse. 

"Hi, it's Tracy.  Call me its important"

"Hey, why don't you answer your phone?  It's Tracy you need to call me."

"Call me immediately, its Tracy.  You really need to call me."

I figured it had to do with my Dad since he retires next week. 

I was wrong.  Tracy told me the amublance took my mom unconcious to the hospital.  I thanked her and she added that my mom had just had the flu shot the day before.  I said I'd call her back when I had more information.  I immediately got a hold of my older brother and got him involved. 

To cut to the chase this was a harsh wake up call for my brothers.  Had something been worse - like both of my parents involved in a car wreck or the like - my neighbor only had MY phone number.  Not like I live around the corner.  So she now has my brother's phone numbers and my brothers both know they need to check in with the folks more.  Mom was told there's something in her salivia gland that needs to be checked out.  No idea if it's cancer or a benign tumor.  I guess she should have more information by next week. 

Then to cap out the weekend the local internet service is offline while they 'upgrade' or 'screw up' the Comcast BS some more.  To Infinity ....and hell?  Stupid upgrades. 

Tough way to end September.  I am hoping October isn't as 'special'.  Saying that the air conditioner just shut off in the building....it's a 'mild' 80 degrees outside.  Sigh. 

1 comment:

  1. My prayers are with your folks, and you, of course, as always. Call me this evening!

    ReplyDelete