Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Time Long Ago

It's odd the many different modes of communication I've used over the decades.  I used to pen letters to friends when I was nine and moved from Los Angeles to the 'wasteland' of San Diego.  Then my dad built an office in our home so my mom could work from home and still keep an eye on us kids.  I had access to three phones lines as a teenager.  Most parents nowadays don't grasp the concept but then it was major.  I could actually talk to two different sides of town on the phones (the area codes were broad back then and once you crossed the magic lines the calls were toll) as we had two different area codes on our phones.  By 19 I was using computers and getting into working with various colleges and jobs that resulted in learning cross-talk and very early email.  Then the 80s came and the Internet took over the communications between the masses. 

ICQ, IRC, mIRC, IM, (but NEVER AOL *shudders*), message boards and associated groups that funneled off from the mainstream, chat rooms and instant time messaging in all the varied systems.  I briefly tried Skype but found it to be a pain.  Blogging reared its nose and I found sites that I could comment on both moderated and unmoderated to my heart's desire. 

Now I was on MySpace for less than 6 hours before someone objected to my carefully crafted site (tasteful - still to this day I haven't a clue who what or where that made it go away) Facebook and Friendster.  I sort of check in on Facebook but forgot my password for Friendster years ago.  Now I find myself picking up cards and paper again and sending mail.  Snail mail as it were.  Such a circular world.

1 comment:

  1. Snail mail is okay, but it's kind of expensive at nearly 50 cents a pop. You're going to have to keep an eye on your e-mail as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete