Monday, February 27, 2012

Winter lost

I've given up on any winter weather this season.  I know some of my friends are still digging out of this past weekend's offering while I just had some clouds and blustery winds.  No real measurable rainfall.  I actually like winter.  I get time to make a crock pot of spicy chili and crochet while watching bad movies.  It is not an activity I pursue at my current locale.  80 plus degree weather and humidity is not chili weather and the idea of handling yarn in this climate makes me shudder.

On the plus side saw more egrets this weekend - snapped pictures to be snagged from camera some future time.  My parents finally got a new Internet service along with a new phone system.  My mom has been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.  She now has caller ID feature along with an answering service.  She refuses to learn how to retrieve messages at this point but my dad is happy.  He got her unlimited talk with AT&T so she can talk to her best friend who moved last year.  Florence is turning 90 and my mom and her have been as thick as thieves for decades.  Now dad can stop yelping when he opens the phone bill.  Mom talks to Florence at least once or twice a week for an hour or so. 

Made Red Velvet cupcakes for a friend's 55th birthday last week.  Will get together a Piker Press recipe tale of two cakes for Sand in the next week I hope.  Not a fan of Red Velvet so I made two different varieties and let the consumers tell me their favorites.  As one friend said, "What's not to like about free cakes?"  She will later bemoan any hint of weight gain from the 'free' cakes.  Oh well, it was fun.

Monday again and February is quickly fading.  Such an unusual year. 

1 comment:

  1. We've had a ridiculously mild winter this year, too. After New Year's, it just got NICE. We're horribly short of rain here as well, with none in sight.

    Looking forward to the cake story.

    ReplyDelete