Friday, February 17, 2012

Founders Day

I couldn't resist wandering down to see the 'Carnivale' starting to build.  It took me back to my childhood in Los Angeles being driven in the back seat of the car with the family and glimpsing a lit Ferris Wheel.  Kiddy Crack.  There is something hypnotic about the carnival lights and the music waging war with the clanks and clattering of the various games that line the walkways to the rides.  I sincerely doubt that we ever went to any of those quickly tossed up carnivals in the parking lots of major shopping centers when I was little.  My folks didn't have a ton of disposable income and they were shoddily constructed from all the horror stories told. 

Taking the walk around in the dark with all the carnies calling out for me to try my luck took me back to those times.  The patter doesn't change much.  There are still the tattooed men and women with their change aprons calling out to just give it a chance.  I was disappointed that the full festival wasn't set up but consoled myself with the knowledge that by the time I got home tonight it would be fully running and the screams as kids are being whipped and flipped would pound into the late night.  It's fun to feel like a kid some days!

No comments:

Post a Comment