Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winter of sorts

Having lived in snow covered areas I still crack up when everyone freaks out the moment a cold front heads down from Canada.  It is not glacially cold here but folks are bundled like they are heading up the trails to reach a 10,000 foot pinnacle of snow and ice.  I do feel bad for the exotic butterflies - they become little butterfly-ice cubes once the temps hit the thirties. No empathy or a smidgen of sympathy for the reptiles smuggled into the area.  They can freeze for all I care because they inhale the local flora and fauna without boundaries.  Two winters ago a little kid was pulling iguanas from outside where they appeared to be near death and the girl's mom was massively shocked when she found out that reptiles can and do defrost if 'rescued in time'.  I wonder what her first reaction was (not the fake one on camera later seen)? 

"Oh, my -insert swear word or phrase - why the hell did you pull these things into my house?"  Naturally screamed from the safety of her nearest kitchen chair or counter top.

That said, I got my first tomato from the topsy-turvey planter my sister sent for my bday.  Yeah, a ripe tomato in December. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember living in Houston and having the temp get down near freezing. The locals thought the world was ending.
    BTW, congratulations on the fine tomato. I guess there are advantages to living in Florida.

    ReplyDelete