Monday, January 16, 2012

Winter Musings

As all my family and friends were brushed with a bit of winter weather so was my edge of the world.  I actually put on tennis shoes, with sox mind you, and wore a light cotton overshirt and long pants.  I know - I really should dress before going outside but hey I like skyclad *grin* - it doesn't sound like much but when the mean temperature ranges in mid seventies to mid nineties you can see how twenty degrees to the south can flip out the natives.  And just so you don't think I've gone soft I had passed more than one person wearing a down filled coat with gloves and hat asking me if I was freezing.  After assuring one and all that I was fine and it really wasn't that cold I kept having flash backs to living in Detroit and wearing a long quilted jean jacket walking in the snow and having people ask me the same thing from their even thicker jackets and multiple layers of cotton and wool. 

There were a few gusts that actually made me feel a tad under dressed but I had shoes on.  I am of the school if my feet are warm so am I.  It wasn't twenty below freezing with wind chills it was just cooler.  The local news folks are waxing on how it'll be mid seventies today and all was right again in the weather.  The idiots.  We need rain and we need weather swings to keep the crops growing.  Extreme cold weather also helps thin down the non-native species that are slowly invading the area and choking out the real species. 

My weekend was nice and non-eventful.  I didn't really do much of anything but rest, watch some movies and write a bit.  Not nearly as much as I wanted but some.  Today is mid-month close or I would have taken today off to stretch out the weekend a bit more.  I made chicken breasts last night smothered with some cream soups roasted in the oven for hour and half.  Tossed some baby Yukon gold potatoes in a pot and made garlic smashed potatoes with skin on.  Salad rounded out the meal.  A nice Sunday afternoon dinner that filled me up without making me feel like I was being bad.  I am nearly ready for the week ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment