Friday, January 6, 2012

A week nearly into the year and I still can't catch a break

I eluded to Sand in a quick chat that life had been changing rapidly around my work.  The company has grown by leaps and bounds in the last year.  In fact we got our 10,000th cell tower.  Did the company give us gift certificates we could use for our own celebration?  Nope, we have plastic door stops or dust catchers.  What have you.  The commemoration plaque came in a box and weighed enough to keep a door open.  They laser etched the company name, the commemoration comment and Q4 2011.  I put it on my little office cube shelf but really wanted to take it home and see if it keeps the door open. 

Well the international division I work with has grown even more than expected.  Thus this week after a few closed door meetings we were all rounded up in my immediate division for an impromptu 'meeting'.  I had already been told what was going on but still I trod into the conference room to hear it from our division manager's lips.  After a few verbal missteps he finally spit out that International is getting their own little space, my supervisor is now head of ONLY the International division (she is cool and oddly enough on vacation while this shakeup commenced).  The supervisor of the other department I started working for was getting a 'cross-promotion' (meaning no more money and her life has been dumped sideways) to a new department and instead of the staff of 8 she reigned over she gets only 2 people (she sees it quite accurately as she is a failure as a supervisor - she terrorizes most of her staff and ends up in HR often).  Now instead of moving the lead folks (baby supervisors) up they are hiring a new supervisor for both departments.  NOT a job I am remotely interested in even if they throw real money at it because of the staffing issues. 

So everyone is looking like deer-in-headlights with all the changes and trying to shuffle their corporate politics into shape so as to keep their positions.  The gal who is getting moved out of her department called off sick yesterday further illustrating she didn't have a clue about the shake up.  All in all very politically charged climate.  I am keeping my head down and working.  We still haven't had our annual reviews that were supposed to be done last month.  *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. You ever see those movies about people who are really bored with their lives? I am more and more convinced that is total fiction. People unhappy with their lives I can see, but bored?

    Hope all is good after the dust settles a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post on the corporate life. Me? I just don't care about corporate politics anymore.

    ReplyDelete