Monday, August 22, 2011

Blowing in the Wind

Time will tell what happens this week.  I have actual plans for the coming weekend that may not come to fruition.  Last month my friends hosted "Christmas in July" and now this coming Saturday "New Years" - actually Jewish New Years for our one friend.  We are wearing blue, white and silver...like Hanukkah colors.  I planned on making potato latkes and cheese blintzes.  All sounds great right?  Well, as of this morning the chances of a Cat 2 Hurricane named Irene hitting me is on all the forecast models locally.  It may well change by tomorrow or get stronger by Thursday (the expected beginning of the 'event' according to all reports).  My complex has a 15,000 btu generator that runs on gasoline.  I mentioned to my one neighbor we need to get a few gallons of gas each on Wednesday to run the generator.  That was when I found out this sweet woman didn't have a clue what a hurricane entailed locally.  She just moved from Wisconsin and thought it just meant lots of rain and winds.  To be called a hurricane the winds must sustain 75 mph winds.  Sustain as it....blowing hard non-stop.  She flipped a hand and basically thought I was exaggerating.  Then she got the call from a friend of hers saying that she wasn't sure if they'd be visiting her (supposed to come tomorrow) because of the hurricane warnings.  She listened to her friend and came out wide eyed and asked if she should go get the gas now!

I had to laugh and explain no that Wednesday would be soon enough.  I've never personally been through a hurricane.  I've been through numerous natural and man made disasters to know fact from fiction.  And yes, I did clean up my camera's card so I can snap pictures to my little heart's content.  I still am not sure if the hurricane will hit but am preparing myself for it as best I can.  The unexpected is just that, unexpected.  There's only so much one can do. 

So keep and eye on the sky and we will see.  Naturally I plan on shooting Sand two more episodes before the weekend - just in case.  *grin*  Isn't that what all writer's do? 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I wish all our writers did ... Good luck with the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nail a pair of shoes to the floor and make sure they have strong laces. However, do NOT use these shoes if you are ordered to evacuate.

    ReplyDelete