Friday, August 31, 2012

Updates and curiosities

Okay, let's see last we left chez Lydia it was roasting, cable-less and storm heading for doors....right?  Or maybe I forgot to blog it all.  That said here's the run down:

Wednesday Aug 22nd came home and a/c had died.  The landlord promised to have it fixed by Friday.  I was understanding that to be Friday the 24th...silly me.  After horrific nights of nearly no sleep and little relief I finally came home last night and it was 80 not 85 inside the house.  By morning it was 75!! Woohoo livable. 

Sunday Aug 26th as the tropical storm Isaac approached the cable decided to die right before the 8 am update.  Thankfully my Internet was up so I was able to check in the Weather Channel for news.  I found out in the middle of the night that my 'smart phone' had a feature that gave horribly loud alerts letting me know of weather problems.  Damn near gave me a heart attack when it went off.  But it did let me know that tornado warning in my area along with flooding and severe weather.  And mid o'dark the fire station had another alarm going off for everyone to panic.

I already knew the weather.  What with the lightning illuminating the entire sky at the same time as the thunder boomed out.  I found out yesterday that one of my friend's house was struck by lightning.  Fried the power in his home and his 50 inch TV.  His daughter a teenage was NOT happy nor was his girlfriend.  He just shrugged and drank beer for three days in the heat. 

Cable is free in my place because of an association thing. Eventually they came out after missing two appointment times.  They sweetly offered a $50 rebate and I kinda bit off their head saying that doesn't mean anything to me.  The guy showed up Wednesday and fixed it.   He also pulled the power lines up from where they were hanging and fixed them higher.  Another little bit of chaos from storm was the swaying of the lines tore free from roof line and the power company doesn't want to fix.  They claim it is landlords responsibility because the power pole is in the backyard common area. 

Monday was nearly at work when the emergency hot line finally said we had day off.  I'd been calling it on and off since 6.  I didn't see anyway they would have us work with all the flooding and storm damage.  So I naturally went back home and still no a/c but got to meet some poor dude who was stuck telling my landlord the cost (that was the 2nd one I met ...I don't know how many quotes he got til he caved).

Happy news on Wednesday one of the gals that was temp to perm was let go.  She was NOT a nice person so that was very good news.  One of my co-workers actually jumped in the air and clicked her feet together (she turns 60 in Dec and it was a sight!) for joy.  Not a single tear shed.  Karma is a bitch and so am I but I actually hadn't said a word about her to anyone higher up because I didn't think it was my place as she didn't do much for me.  The one time she tried to get nasty with me I gave her a lovely searing glance and she kind of sucked up to me ever after...funny that 'evil eye' works.

Yesterday early morning walk before dawn break I got to watch a bat collecting bugs overhead.  I cheered that as good omen cause mosquitoes carry stuff.  Then oddly on the way home I witnessed a man getting 'serviced' near as I could figure on the sidewalk by a ...can't say what but rhymes with slut...oh wait...that's it...on her knees between his thighs with head bobbing. During rush hour.  Okay bats to blow....jobs?  Is that crazy or what?

So that pretty much brings the basics up to date.  How you all doing?

1 comment:

  1. This helps put my life in perspective. I'm allowing myself to get peeved because the neighbor two houses down lets his dog crap in his yard and doesn't clean it up. Glad you survived the storm.

    ReplyDelete