Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dream hangover

The moon has been low in the sky shadowed by the earth and a slip of the sun illuminates her backside.  I walk in between the palm trees full and lush.  Coconuts litter the sandy grass underfoot having given into the pull of gravity.  A touch of winter lingers in the air but not enough for me to wear much more than Capri pants and a ribbed tank top.  Well worn flip flops keep me from touching the earth. 

Were that a dream I would have woken smiling this morning.  No, that was the walk I took after dark before turning into bed.  Stressful times for me lately and I haven't had much time to write other than in my thoughts and between the sheets.  I don't always have nightmares that I completely remember once dawn breaks and I begin the day.  I know when they are bad because there is a lingering ache that runs around my nerve endings as the synapses misfire the fight or flee impulses from the tormented slumber.

The outright absurd dreams or when I have powers beyond the average human are easy to send away in the morning - no matter how horrific nor tense.  It's the ones that are slices of life that are achingly realistic that tend to keep flowing in and out of the day.  Last night I had some intense dreams that fell into the first category - now little more than foggy wisps of nonsense.  The one that fell into the second class is what is pushing at my mind.

Just for the record at no time in my life have I thought, "Gee, I want to head up to Alaska and see what all the talk is about." Yet, I enjoyed living in Nevada and Michigan.  The winters could be miserable but there was plenty to keep me busy and I liked the people I met and knew.  While Alaska with the long, long dark nights and the other season of long, oddly lit nights haven't ever held much appeal.  Places where below zero temperatures are the norm don't do it for me.  I often thought Hell isn't filled with fire and flames for the damned but ice cold and bone chilling with every breath stabbing at your lungs and making your heart race. 

My 'twilight zone' nightly offering from my subconscious last night was set in Alaska.  The analytical side of my mind knew it was due to the dropped temperature outside with the taste of cold lingering on the edges of my world.  But my nasty imagination gave me a new sort of hell.  I was in a indoor mall that was in a small town terrified by the bears that had gone rogue and were killing anyone they caught.  I was trying to help find a child who was missing and instead was smacked to the ground by a large caramel colored bear who had my head pined to the concrete with a large paw and was holding me face down.  I wasn't injured severely yet but painfully aware of the claws that had me.  The men of the town screamed as they tore at the beast and yanked the creature off me and I slithered out from beneath the mad animal relatively unscathed. 

To my stunned horror one of the men was flung off and smacked against the nearest wall breaking the wood and another black bear was on the other side of the partition clawing at the man's arms and legs.  Women were screaming and I was upset that rescuing me was costing that man his very life.  Another man lost his throat to the bear as it stood up roaring and biting.  I scampered into a small store where everyone from the town seemed to be clustered and shouting.  My hands were gripping the sides of my face and covering my ears.  A woman spitting mad launched at me blaming me for the bears.  Another bear I recognized as a Grizzly snatched her from my face and broke her spine with an audible wet sound.  My heart raced as I further back pedaled into the room with no visible exit.  My sight grew foggy and I woke. 

That is a taste of the nightmare haunting me this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment