Thursday, May 31, 2012

Weather geeks unite

Not that it'll do anything.  Most of you who read my vamp tales have realized by now I don't have much use for the weather 'forecasters'.  Bob Dale, since passed, used to get up in front of the weather map in his bow ties and tell what could happen.  What he also used to say was don't take his word for it but stick your head out the window and look before you left for work.  He didn't take himself too seriously.  Yet, he was informative.  Unlike the weather bimbos and himbos currently littering the airwaves (cable waves?). 

First off it seems necessary to be newly engaged and sporting a hunk of 'ice' at least 3 karats (who doesn't right?), second the gals have wardrobes straight off South Beach evening attire, third a lovely tan and finally the ability to giggle or cry on demand.  As for the ability to comprehend anything other than cue cards I am not so sure that's a job requirement.  In fact, I think they lose 'Barbie Doll Points' if they are able to do much more than that.  I've surfed the local channels and end up going to the weather channel on the eights or running amok on the Internet looking for satellite images and current charts. 

And no I'll admit that most of the Californian weather folks weren't any better on predicting patterns other than telling surfers to stay out of the ocean after rain fall - something they NEVER do here.  I guess Floridians don't get sick from toxic sludge run off and contamination.  Or it's their way of thinning the herd so they can pretend like those two foot waves are 'huge'.  I still snicker when I watch my neighbors run for the beach with their boards. 

Tomorrow is the official start of the 'hurricane season' and three weeks ago was the official start of the 'raining season'.  The news folks can't make up their minds if we are going to have a hurricane hit or we just are going to have a miserably hot summer.  Given it was 90 degrees yesterday I would think a bit of both probably up for grabs.  The local radio DJs make snide comments about how hurricanes are just marketing ploys for Home Depot and Lowes to sell out plywood and Publix and Winn-Dixie to empty the shelves of canned goods and water.  I'm not naive enough to think that hurricanes don't happen but I can't worry about it.  There is so much more to life than living in fear.  Things we can't change - we can't.  I do have some of the basics but I refuse to get hysterical about the possibilities.  And yes you all can remind me if one hits and I get upset.  But having grown up in the land of shake and bake (earthquakes and fires SoCal style) and living in Nevada and going through a blizzard white-out a time or two then add in the tornadoes I watched in Michigan maybe I am a tad jaded?

But at least the storms bring killer skies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment