Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dates and Times

A couple dozen or so years ago on this date I was once walking down the aisle in a handmade silk wedding dress.  The day before it had poured rain and I remember my white satin high heels getting stuck in the lawn when I went to the champagne tower my dad had constructed for me and my groom.  In the background a small band played whimsical music with nearly a medieval sound - the poor musicians were dressed in satin and plush felt costumes like Ren-Faire people.  I got lightly sunburnt even through the mesh and lace top on my dress because it was brilliantly hot and sunny.  There were sad bits during the day - the passing of a dear friend was told to me half way through the reception and I burst out in tears because I hadn't realized she was that sick.  More than a few of my friends ended up drunk and passed out under trees in the yard.  I thought I was all grown up and ready to face a new chapter of my life. 

Funny what one thinks.

I find myself looking back to the younger me at times and wanting to scream warnings.  Other times I laugh at my arrogance and stupidity.  Memories of the joys and the heartbreak entwine during my self-absorbed analysis of bits and pieces of life.

Life has a funny way of doing what it wants regardless of my stray wishes. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I remember finally realizing after countless instances of looking back on my life and thinking, "Boy I was a fool then," that I still am and always will be a fool. I am okay with this. "O Lord, be merciful to me, a fool."

    ReplyDelete