Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mid March Madness

When I lived in Detroit my coworkers had March Madness playoff bets.  I remember actually winning one through sheer dumb luck.  I don't follow basketball.  Hell, who am I kidding, I rarely follow any sports.  Somehow watching millionaires and near millionaires act like babies and pitch fits for unnoticeable wrongs doesn't do it for me. 

Talking with one of my writer friends yesterday he confessed apathy towards much of life and I got that.  Later talking with another writer he said he has an interview scheduled with Chris Bosch of the Heat.  He wanted to do something other than a puff piece about basketball and all the faldarah.  Together he and I concluded that we wanted to know how someone could travel so much and yet still work up a passion for a game they'd played all their lives. 

He wants to ask how an athlete keeps his head in the game and stays true to self and goals in life.  The two conversations were in a way similar in intentions.  Writers tend to ask questions of others trying to create a mental conversation with past and parts of our thought processes.  I am not so sure how that interview is going to work out if the man is unable to explain what drives him to go throw himself around a court while people cheer and jeer.

1 comment:

  1. As much as I enjoy your writing, La, in this case I couldn't help but to keep looking at the photo and specifically at the sign that says "Beware of Alligators."

    Simple wisdom that.

    Perhaps that is how one keeps one's head in the game.

    ReplyDelete